Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Framing on whether to show a certain photo or video

By:Lauren Bruno
http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2001-03-06-smart-cars.htm
http://www.911dispatch.com/video/miami/index.html

When deciding what topic I wanted to discuss in this blog I thought of what situation I felt like was most interesting. I decided to choose from our topic of class discussion and the article on February 3rd's class.
“A classic debate in every newsroom is whether they should run the photo and where” (Strupp, 2005). This quote was said in the article and I think is a very good point; it is a very tough decision whether to run a photo or a video when you are a journalist. If you do not run it you may get fired but if you do run it you may loose respect from other people as a person.
My example is a story that is very tramautizing to me. Karla Gutierrez drove her car off the road into a canal and found her car was sinking. She frantically called 9-1-1 and the conversation was sent through out the internet and actually played during evening news on some stations.
This is a topic we did discuss about framing on February 3rd's class when mentioning if you would publish certain photos or videos as a journalist and this to me is something that very well supports that. It is something that goes with the topic very well and I think a lot of people would not know what to do as well. I would have never played this video of a woman frantically calling 9-1-1 on the evening news. There are families eating dinner with little children and hearing this lady panick and then her just get disconnected, you know she drowns and when I first read about this and heard this video I was very traumatized, so to me it is something as a journalist I just think is not necessary or right at all to publish to internet sites or the news. On the side of the end of the website link I published it also says 'Operator: Well, we lost her.' That is something else that should not be shown, an operator acting as if it was not a big deal. When reading this and picturing the lady is tramautizing, it should not have been shown. Certain news stations after tried to make a come back saying they used the video of her voice to show people how to get out of a sinking car and that is helpful but Karlas voice and words should not have been published. To me this was an explicit and great example of February 3rds discussion.

By:Lauren Bruno

No comments:

Post a Comment